Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Code for the Day: I Saved the Article on Procrastination for Last (Z73.89 )

Whew, it's over!  That's really all I can say about September - it's over!  It  was a very busy month both professionally and on a personal level and as I organize my to do list this week, I realize just how much I put off.  Busy people understand that you can't get it all done, so it's all about prioritizing and since I am a very ambitious person, my to do list is usually pretty huge and I know going into it that something is going to get cut.  The opposite of this process, in my mind, is doing absolutely nothing!

One of my to do stacks.  I'll get to it one of these days...
The other day during a little down time (I do have some!), I decided to start in on a series of articles my mom clipped for me.  I usually don't have time to read the articles she sends me, but as I flipped through the pages, with topics ranging from saving for retirement to time management, I thought perhaps I should take the time.  I read the article on why you should break certain time management rules first.  Then I moved onto the icky articles on retirement planning - good information, but not my favorite topic.  I saved the article on procrastination for last.

Oh, procrastination, you are my friend!  I am a master procrastinator, although it has backfired on me in the past.  I don't enjoy the last minute scramble to get a project done, it's just that I often so tightly manage my time (not a good thing according to the first article), that it's all about priorities.  And ever since high school, I have done some of my best work at the eleventh hour.  The tricky part is making sure you're not extending that into the twelfth hour!

And, of course, I had to see if there was a code for procrastination, and I do believe I found one:
  • Z73.89, Other problems related to life management difficulty
I suppose you would only really consider this code if you thought procrastination was a bad thing.  Category Z73 also includes codes for type A behavior (Z73.1), lack of relaxation and leisure (Z73.2), and stress, not otherwise classified (Z73.3).  So I suppose if you aren't careful, a Z73.1 lifestyle along with Z73.89 can lead to Z73.2 and ultimately, Z73.3.  But I still think there is such a thing as a healthy amount of procrastination.

Now, to get back to that to do list.  I can check one thing off for today, but I'm sure there's something else I can put off until tomorrow...