Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year, New Attitude

I know many of you out there are looking for jobs. And I know that many of you are also suffering from a lot of rejection. And although I'm not much for New Year's resolutions - because let's face it, they don't usually last more than 30 days - I am a fan of new beginnings and the new year is a great time for new beginnings. Spoiler alert: I'm about to get out the pom-pons and get really Pollyanna!

First a little diversion - I love Christmas and everything about it. My house is decked out in full Christmas regalia while I'm still digesting Thanksgiving dinner and no room in my house is safe from a little holiday glitz. That said, after the new year, I love packing it all away and getting everything clean and organized and new. Of course, I am a coder, so organizing things is right on the top of my list of favorite things to do. And I encourage you to do the same - except organize your job search efforts instead.

It's time for a new perspective. The definition of insanity, according to our favorite physicist, Albert Einstein, is to try the same thing over and over and expect different results. What have you been doing that just isn't working? And how can you change your approach? If you didn't attend any networking events in 2010, start looking at calendars and planning for 2011. I know this may cost some money to attend events, but it's an investment in your future employment. I can't tell you how many people are offered jobs simply through networking. What job sites are you using to look for positions? Are you reading the trade magazines? Should you expand your search to other geographic locations? Take a look at your resume too - what can you do make your resume pop more?

Finally, check your attitude. I know this is probably the hardest thing of all because we are who we are and changing your attitude about the job hunting process is hard. But if you've been burned in 2010, now is the time to leave that negativity behind and focus on a positive new year. Put it out in the universe that this is the year you will land your anchor job, that is the job that will anchor you in the profession and lead to your dream job. Put post-its on your bathroom mirror or whatever else you need to do to keep yourself motivated and feeling positive. Spend time with positive people in the profession. And always remember that a job rejection is not a reflection on you or your skills - it's a tough competitive job market. So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!

It's a new year, a new you, and before you know it, a new career!