Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Coding as a Second (or Third) Career

I am part of a select group of coding professionals who have chosen coding as a first career. In my graduating class, I was the only "traditional" college student - starting an HIM program right out of high school. The others in my class were stay-at-home moms returning to the workforce or people looking for a change in career. Today I see more and more people seeking a second (or third) career and choosing coding.

Over the last year I've watched my father look for a new job after giving 35 years as a machinist to a manufacturing company. Last year, his company moved operations out of the country and laid off hundreds. And as he goes on interview after interview, it's unfortunate to see that his 35 years of experience is not seen as an asset, but rather as a method to "do the math" and see when he might be ready for retirement.

I am happy to report that my father was recently offered a job and starts next week. We all have our fingers crossed that this will be the good fit he's been looking for. But for the rest of the "mature" job seeking population out there, I recently came across a blog with some good advice. So if you are over 40 and looking for employment, check out this link: Interns Over 40.